Just before the market, I created some new flower brooches (pictured in the second photo below). They attracted quite a bit of favorable attention and I sold one of them.
As I discussed in last week's post, I really like to search through remnants in fabric stores and pick up interesting pieces. These flower brooches are also a result of my fabric remnant stockpiling. They're made by cutting long thin strips of fabric and then pulling up loops of that fabric through a circular burlap base. I work in a spiral pattern until I fill in a circle. I added beaded stamens in the center of each piece and created leaves using ribbon embroidered with metallic thread.
It is best to use fabric where the dye permeates both sides of the cloth. Batiked cotton fabric (seen in the centers of the first and third flowers above, seemed to work particularly well. The basic idea for these brooches came from Felt, Fabric, and Fiber Jewelry: 20 Projects to Bead, Stitch, Knot and Braid by Sherri Haab.
Subsequent to the Artists' Market, I learned that flower brooches, and large brooches in general, are actually "on trend' this Fall. So, I thought I would try creating another type of flower brooch; this time crocheted with yarn. I'd also purchased some WireLace, Italian ribbon, which I had never used before. Very cool stuff! It comes in many colors and a variety of widths. It features a very delicate wire mesh that is formed into a flattened tube. It can be expanded and stretched, or you can work with it like you would cord or ribbon, or you can place beads within the tube -- versatile material. After playing with it for a while, I decided to use some to form the center of the crocheted flower brooch and then added beaded stamens.
I'm hoping to expand my brooch selection in the next few months.